Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

01 November, 2017

How to Make Your Own Grain Sack Fabric

I needed a frenchy throw pillow for some changes I'm making in my living room and, since I'm working with a busy schedule, I looked around to see what it would cost to simply buy one. Whaaat? Believe me,  I was quickly inspired to make my own! It was actually super easy and very inexpensive so I wanted to share my method for creating the signature stripe with you.

Here's what you will need:
  • Sufficient drop cloth to create your project such as pillows, table runners, table cloths, Christmas stockings, upholstery, slip covers or whatever you dream up! Be sure to wash and dry your drop cloth before you begin.
  • Paint (I used Annie Sloan's Aubusson Blue)
  • Foam paint brush
  • One inch masking tape (I used Frog Tape) 
And here's what you will do: 
Find the center of your fabric and adhere a piece of the tape along the length. It may be helpful to mark your fabric to be sure your line will be straight.
Add another piece of tape to either side, using the first piece to line them up. This is an easy way to ensure a straight line.
Measure out another 1/2 inch and add a piece of tape on either side.


Remove the center piece of tape. You have now created three spaces where you will paint your stripes.


Using a foam brush, dip the end of it in your paint and dab off the excess on a paper towel.


Now dab the paint on to the fabric. To create a more authentic grain sack look, do not cover the fabric completely. It will look better if it is a little spotty.


Allow the paint to dry and remove the tape. Annie Sloan recommends heat setting it by putting it in the sun, ironing it or tumble drying it. You can see more of her recommendations for using her paint on fabric HERE. Or you could always use fabric paint if you are concerned about wear-ability.


Now that your fabric is ready, you can complete your project. I love the nubby texture of the drop cloth! I used mine to to make a PILLOW WITH AN ENVELOPE CLOSURE. I have to admit that I am seriously considering getting a head start on some Christmas stockings with a red stripe! Wouldn't that be fun? Stay tuned!

Remember to pin it!


Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email
Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered Delivered by FeedBurner
Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. I used this technique on several projects this summer and thought it was a great alternative to purchasing grain sack fabric. I found I didn't like how the paint sat on top of the fabric so I just used a light grit sanding block to sand the stripes after they dried and it made the stripes appear and feel more like they were woven in and gave them a light distressed look which I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Debbie, where do you get your drop cloth, i bought some from Lowes and half of it was bad.Thanks and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the pillow and thank you for your tips and info on how to:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy my drop cloths from Harbor Freight. They are very inexpensive and you can print coupons from their website for 20% off. Sometimes they carry different brands so please check package details before buying. Fyi: They say the sizes are the same but you can get some cloths that are off by 1"-5" off in width or length or both. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie